The Advertising Club of New York was founded in 1896 and was first known as the Sphinx Club but by 1915 the name had become the Advertising Club of New York.
For most of its early history it was located at 23 Park Avenue in Manhattan. This Stanford White building is one of the few surviving mansions on Park Avenue. It was completed in 1892 for the residence of J. Hampden Robb, the New York City parks commissioner, and his wife, Cornelia Van Rensselaer Robb. When it was complete one architectural critic called it "the most dignified structure . . . not a palace, but a fit dwelling house for a first-rate citizen."
This Renaissance Revival building housed the Advertising Club from 1923 to 1977. From that time it has been a cooperative apartment house. What served the club as its library is now the living room of the duplex apartment owned by Kenneth Jay Lane.